Event will benefit Ski & Snowboard Club Vail’s mountain bike program, Vail Junior Cycling Club

VAIL, Colo. – April 18, 2019 – Ski & Snowboard Club Vail (SSCV) has announced the inaugural Vail Bike Swap, set for Saturday, May 11 at Battle Mountain High School in Edwards. The event, which the club hopes will become an annual spring tradition, builds off the nearly 50-year success of the Vail Ski Swap and will benefit SSVC’s growing mountain bike programs.

“This is an idea that has been kicking around for a number of years, and we finally decided to make it happen. We’ve known for a long time that the demand was there, and SSCV has the experience and manpower to pull it off,” said Mountain Bike Program Director Dan Weiland. “While this inaugural event will be significantly smaller scale compared to the annual ski swap, we are looking forward to watching it grow in the years to come. … Whether you’re looking to buy or sell a bike, this is a great community solution that supports a good cause.”

The Vail Bike Swap will feature new and used bikes in good working order from private sellers and vendors. “Department store bikes,” such as those sold at Walmart, may not be accepted at the swap. Other types of bike equipment will be accepted on a discretionary basis. No old bike shorts, please! Clean items and desirable pieces of equipment, such as bike parts, helmets and shoes, may be accepted.

Those looking to sell have two options

Option A: Simply bring your new or used bike and equipment to Battle Mountain High School during one of two check-in periods. Early bird check-in will be available Friday, May 10 from 5 to 7 p.m. Sellers may also drop off their bikes from 7 to 9:30 a.m. on Saturday morning before sales open. Bikes will not be accepted after that time.

For successful sales, SSCV will take a 10% commission and mail sellers a check for the remaining 90%. Unsold items must be picked up from 5 to 7 p.m. the day of the swap. Any unsold, unclaimed items at that time will be immediately donated to charity.

Option B: Whether you are a private seller with an overflowing garage or a local bike shop looking to clear out some inventory, a limited number of 10×10 exhibitor spaces are available on a first-come, first-served basis for a fee of $100. The aforementioned 10% commission does not apply to exhibitor sales. However, these spaces must be managed and attended to by the exhibitor him or herself. The Vail Bike Swap will not be processing payments for exhibitor sales and is not responsible for lost items.

Looking to buy?

For those looking to buy, there will be a $5 admission fee at the door. Children under the age of 12 will be admitted for free. Buyers will not be subject to any other fees.

As this is SSCV’s first year managing the bike swap, organizers reserve the right to suspend acceptance of incoming bikes and equipment, if necessary. Those who arrive early will have the best chance of getting their bike into the swap.

All proceeds from the Vail Bike Swap will benefit the Vail Junior Cycling Club and SSCV’s growing mountain bike programs, which have expanded in recent years to include more than 65 young athletes competing on behalf of three local high schools: Battle Mountain High School, Eagle Valley High School, and Vail Ski & Snowboard Academy. SSCV also, this year, announced the creation of the Vail Junior Cycling Club, the valley’s first full-time, year-round mountain bike program for dedicated cyclists.

The inaugural Vail Bike Swap has been produced in conjunction with The Kind Bike and Skis in Edwards.

“Since before I purchased Kind Bikes and Skis two years ago, I had seen a need for a local bike swap,” said The Kind’s Chris Anderson. “We were excited to bring this idea to Dan Weiland at Vail Junior Cycling. A large part of our mission at Kind Bikes and Skis is to help support cycling, especially at the youth level, and this event is a great way to support both the needs of the local cycling community and raise funds for a great youth cycling program. We look forward to supporting this great event.”

More information about the event and an exhibitor sign-up form can be found at www.VailBikeSwap.com.

Volunteers needed

SSCV is requesting member volunteers to help get this inaugural event rolling (no pun intended). For those who still need to fulfill their 2018-19 volunteer requirement, this will be your last chance. Already got yours done? We will also award volunteers points toward next season’s requirement. Just want to lend a hand? That’s great. We’ll take all the help we can get. SIGN UP HERE!

Vail Bike Swap Schedule

Friday, May 10
5-7 p.m. – Early Bird drop-off

Saturday, May 11
7-9:30 a.m. – Check in/drop-off
10 a.m.-5 p.m. – Sales Open
5-7 p.m. – Check out/Unsold bike pick-up

Learn more at VailBikeSwap.com