Ski & Snowboard Club Vail is extremely grateful for the support of Eagle County Schools which makes Vail Ski & Snowboard Academy available as a public school option for SSCV full-time athletes. SSCV has an Academic Fund in place to help cover the cost of SSCV academic support staff at Vail Ski & Snowboard Academy. Please read on as to why there is an SSCV academic support staff at VSSA, how this staff benefits VSSA students and why SSCV charges academic coach fees to VSSA students and fundraises for the shortfall.
WHY DOES SSCV PROVIDE ACADEMIC SUPPORT STAFF AT VSSA?
As a public school, VSSA has a limit on the number of staff it can hire and is prohibited from fundraising to hire incremental staff. SSCV remains committed to providing academic support staff to work alongside VSSA staff to help student athletes excel academically.
HOW DOES THE SSCV ACADEMIC SUPPORT STAFF BENEFIT VSSA STUDENTS?
Whether in the intense travel and competition stages of high school or in the early stages preparing to take on a more intense academic and athletic schedule, there are many ways that VSSA students benefit from the SSCV academic support staff as outlined below.
WHY DOES SSCV CHARGE ACADEMIC COACH FEES AND FUNDRAISE FOR THE SHORTFALL VIA THE ACADEMIC FUND?
The SSCV academic support staff is funded in part by the academic coach fee that VSSA parents pay annually to SSCV. The balance is funded through donations to the Academic Fund.
SSCV ACADEMIC SUPPORT STAFF BENEFITS VSSA STUDENTS…
- Lower educator to student ratios in classes where teachers utilize Academic Coaches
- Opportunities for differentiated learning within the classroom
- Academic Coaches share VSSA classroom experiences with students who miss class for travel, competition or otherwise
- Additional supervision available during less structured periods of the school day including lunch and dismissal times
- Unique mentoring experience for students with SSCV academic support staff
- Additional academic resources for students during Academic Concerns Study Halls, especially in the second trimester when students in the red zone of the Academic Concerns List are required to attend study hall and to which all other students are also welcome
- Customized academic support focused on executive functioning skills and action plans to get ahead, stay on top of and catch up on missed work while away for SSCV competitions to HITS (high-intensity traveling student) athletes who are enrolled in the HITS Academic Coach program before, during and after travel
- Large group, long-term travel support before, during and after travel for longer championship events and large group international travel across all snowsports
- Organizational/executive functioning skills support across all grades
HOW TO DONATE TO THE SSCV ACADEMIC FUND
- Click here to donate now with a one-time contribution or make the first of multiple installments over time
- Or, contact SSCV Director of Development Taryn Miletti at email@example.com or (970) 790-5121.
For questions about the SSCV Academic Fund in support of VSSA students, please contact SSCV Director of Development Taryn Miletti at firstname.lastname@example.org or (970) 790-5121.